Sunday, April 29, 2007

Plug Your Book!

A few months ago, I was sent a real nifty little book on book promotion to review which was called Plug Your Book by Steve Weber. It sat on top of my desk to grab when I had a few minutes to spare, but I never could grab those few spare minutes with the book tours and promoting The Search for the Million $$$ Ghost, a paranormal that Heide Kaminski, Pam Lawniczak and I wrote which just came out in paperback this month. It was always busy, busy, busy, which left absolutely no time for reading.

Well, today, at work, I found the time. It was extraordinarily slow, so I pulled up a chair, propped my feet up on computer equipment in the back and dived in. Big mistake. I was worthless.

Waiting for my relief to walk in so that I could go home and finish the book, I pulled out my yellow highlighter and started highlighting. It was a treasure trove of information that I wanted to refer to when I sent him my review.

One passage he had in the book that really made me sit up was:

"Many booksellers, publishers, and agents pay close attention to Amazon ranks. So if you manage to pump up (gotta love his buzz words!) the sales rank of your book, it can prompt brick-and-mortar stores to order more copies. Publishers looking for a complementary title might ask you to write the book for them."

What I found interesting about that passage was that it made me wonder, for those published with small press and who lack distribution in major book stores like Barnes & Noble, would sales rankings make a difference as to whether they would stock you?

The Search for the Million $$$ Ghost has held a ranking of 740 or so in B&N online for days. If I mention the ranking to the store manager, would that make a difference? Anyone know?

I'm heading out to the B&N in Salisbury, Maryland, tomorrow just to test the waters. I'm not even sure how I'm going to approach this and I'm sure, by what I've heard, it just isn't going to happen come hell or high water, but what if...I'm a local author? Would that even make a difference in this highly competitive market?

I'll let you know what happens. BTW, as of this writing, the sales rankings at B&N just dipped to 1,030 and my luck, it'll be higher than that when I go in there, but we shall see.

Another thing I liked about Mr. Weber's book is the chapter on how to approach Amazon top reviewers, even down to the sample email you can email them with. Quite a neat little book. I'm only half-way through but I'll be giving it a full review soon.

BTW, his rankings at Amazon isn't anything to sneeze at. For a self-published book, it's standing at 5,351 (it's been out since February 2007).

I'll give you my full evaluation in another day or so of why I believe he's doing so well. Meanwhile, if you want to check out Mr. Weber's blog, go to http://www.weberbooks.com/publish.htm. That's nothing to sneeze at, either. WTG, Mr. Weber. ;o)

Tags: , , , , , , , self-published

Labels:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'll have to give this book a try. Since I self published my first novel in 2003, I've learned about marketing the hard way and am just now finding out all the things I wish I had known four years ago. Oh, well, not to worry. I have another book due out next year, and I'll put all my marketing skills to use, then.

BTW, I'd like to invite anyone who is interested to come visit my blog at http://www.debrastang.net/wp/

It's called "Notes for Writers and Readers" and includes weekly reviews of books every writer should know about.

9:20 PM  
Blogger LuLynn said...

I found a great article on how to promote your Ebooks on IdeaMarketers.com it's called "Anatomy of an EBook"
http://www.ideamarketers.com/?Anatomy_of_an_Ebook_Launch&articleid=17400&from=PROFILE

5:14 PM  
Blogger Lilach said...

You can try and sale your eBook at MEAR Partners

1:07 PM  
Blogger kathryn said...

self testing thx for your blog




e-business book
online marketing book
business ebook

1:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I found a wonderful place that will create Video Book Trailers. They are very professional. Their customer service is top notch! Please visit their website for more information or email them.

This is an exciting and new way to promote your book. They will even upload the video to Youtube and other video sharing websites.

http://www.ivideoproductions.com
info@ivideoproductions.com


Here is a sample of their work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Gw__0TZqg

5:38 PM  
Blogger K Wodke said...

We started a website to promote our books, but we also have book lists of other authors' books. It's just a small listing, but it's free: http://findagoodbooktoread.yolasite.com/about-us.php

10:52 AM  
Blogger Bryce said...

I just made a book app for my eBook promotion. I had this company help me and it did wonders. I usually promote my eBook on my own but with time constraints I thought I would give a business a shot and now I am going to have them promote all of my eBooks from here on out. Making a book app was by far the most successful eBook promotion I have ever done.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Adi said...

Quite an interesting article. Would certainly check out Mr. Weber's book sometime. Currently I am reading " Blog Smart. Blog Often. How I Blogged for Thought Leadership, Revenue and Success" authored by Mr. Manoj Jasra

1:19 PM  
Blogger Mariam said...

Has anything ever bothered you in life? Do you
have any problem you need to solve? A pending
court case you want to resolve in your favor?
Health, relationship and finance. Welcome to
the world of miracles and wonders, there are
supernatural treasure and power to liberate
mankind from all afflictions. Why cant you live a
life of your dream? Why must you work so hard
and yet earn so little? Why cant you be happy
with the one you love and desire or why cant the
one you love reciprocate and appreciate that
love? Why would the doctor tell you there is no
solution or cure to your problems? Why would
your lawyer say you stand no chance, that your
case is hopeless? Have you been cheated by
anyone or those owing you money refuse to pay
back? Do you need a rapid job promotion in
your place of work? You want to venture into
politics? Now I understand certain things are
hard to believe and comprehend, but all I ask
from you is only 3 days and if you will follow my
instructions and use the items you will receive, I
promise your life will never be the same
again.If you find no relevance in the help I offer
I solemnly appeals do not be vindictive and go
in peace. And if your intentions are to take
advantage of the powerful nature of our items
for the purpose of evil, I will not have any
business with you please be advised. May
angels guide you. All inquiries should be
directed to the Priest Abija email below Email:
spirituallighthealing101@live.com or
you can sent a text message to this number:(518) 303-6207!

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home